July 1, 2008

Its come to my attention recently that perhaps I have gained 10-ish pounds since joining the workforce 3.5 years ago. Why you ask? My pants are tight today. Oh, bother.

I have many theories for how this has happened. First being that I have relaxed from becoming the anal point/calorie counter I was when I first started working. Yeah, I may have been 10lbs lighter then, but I was a big stressbal thinking about what I was going to eat each day. And lets not forget booze...I enjoy it too much to restrict it as much as I did back then.

Second, I am not running the crazy 30+ miles a week that I used to run up until about 3 months ago. From lack of boredom and getting tired of the same thing for 7 years running, no pun intended, I decided to reduce mileage (probably to the ballpark of 10-15 miles a week) and start making exercise fun again. So, now my workout bag of tricks includes running, spin class, swimming, and P90X. Its possible some of this 10lb baggage includes extra muscle, since I seem to do more weights than I did back in the day. Because seriously it used to be running and only running. Hi knees...I'm sorry, can you ever forgive me?

My third and final theory is pretty random. Since the weather is getting warmer (well, not getting anymore, its 100 degree out), I have decided to take a more casual approach to work attire. Since I haven't yet reached my goal of having a job where I can wear tshirts and shorts everyday, I do have to dress "business casual". For the last 3 years this has consisted of button downs and pants, just ask anyone thats worked with me. And so, I have started wearing more casual clothes (ie more comfy) like skirts and dresses and I think that my ab muscles have relaxed since I've adopted this new habit. Therefore, they just like to hang out now instead of sucking it in while I wore pants. I think I am going to experiment a little and bringing pants back into my wardrobe somewhat regularly. We'll see if I get my six pack with koozies back.


I do realize that my third theory doesn't really have anything to do with gaining weight, but it is a factor in my pants being tight today.